But I thought that I should take this opportunity to talk a bit about my favorite movie-slashers. Yeah, I know it’s been done to death (pun intended), but I feel that it is a necessary thing to do at this point… even though I probably won’t be throwing any curve balls your way.
Anywho, ever since I saw one of the Elm Street-films as a kid (I think it was the 2nd one when I was around 5 or 6) I’ve always loved scary movies, and I’ve always had a penchant for slasher-films, but who is my favorite slasher of them all? This, and a few assorted trivia’s surrounding them, is what I’m going to talk about today! So here you go, my top 3 favorite slashers ranked from the Top!
- Jason Voorhees – The disfigured son of Camp Crystal Lake. This is the baddest of the bad. You can drown him, electrocute him, blow him up, it doesn’t matter, he’ll still be on your ass like white on rice. We have seen Jason wreak havoc in the woods, in cabins, on boats, in Manhattan And in outer space, so he brings the saying; ‘You can run but you can’t hide’ to the utmost extreme. And now, thanks to the 2009-remake, he’s a master of jungle warfare to boot.
But not only is he a complete badass from top to bottom, he is also one of the scariest characters I have ever seen in a horror-film. Yeah sure, not in all of the movies, of course, but thanks to Kane Hodder (The New Blood, Takes Manhattan, The Final Friday, Jason X) and Derek Mears (2009 remake), he is cemented for all eternity as the greatest of all time!
(note; The top-photo does NOT depict Hodder as Jason, as he did not portray Jason at the sack-wearing times.)
A litte fun Trivia for you Jason-fans out there. The actor who played Jason in Freddy vs Jason from 2003, actually got murdered by Hodders Jason in pt. VIII – Takes Manhattan!
- Chucky – The psychotic Hell-doll with a Fuck-You-attitude from the Child’s Play-series. If you look at these movies from a more serious perspective, it just seems silly and tame for a slasher-franchise, and if you haven’t grown up with them, you’ll probably just laugh it off as a waste of time, but as it now is for me, Chucky was a Huge part of my childhood and I adore the crap out of that little ginger! Sure, the original story is pretty basic for that era (a time where dolls and puppets where still hauntingly evil in movies) but the one thing that makes it all work is Brad Dourif the guy that plays Charles Lee Ray (and later gives the voice to Chucky), the serial-killer who transfers his soul into the doll. Dourif’s voice is so amazing for this part and everytime he laughs, it sends shivers all through my body. This voice, accompanied by the laugh and the fact that, at first, he’s just a small nice-looking doll, are the reasons I never slept with my feet outside the covers for my entire childhood (and sometimes even to date). A strong #2 on my Top-slashers list, all thanks to Brad Dourif!
Chucky have appeared in 5 films and Brad Dourif have been the voice of Chucky all through it all, keeping the legacy of Chucky as menacing as it should be. I am also Very excited to see Chucky again in the upcoming ‘Curse of Chucky, where, I’m delighted to say, Dourif will once again be the voice behind this evil that is Chucky!
- Last, but not at all least, we have our final Top-slasher, Freddy Krueger, the Elm Street dream-slasher with a quirky attitude. Freddy is probably most notable for his “fingers” but he has a certain…. yeah, I’m saying it… charm, that goes extremely well with his witty, sarcastic nature in between all the killings. Although he was a perverted swine when he was alive, as a dream-killer in the afterlife, Freddy is a lovable character in his own way and one can’t find a reason NOT to like him. With that said, he is, without the shred of a doubt, one of the most gruesome slayers out there. With his custom-made ‘knife-glove’, he wreaks havoc in teenagers dreams, killing of the children of the people who burned him alive.
Freddy Krueger have been given his immortality cemented as one of the Horror-greats through the incredible acting of none other than Robert Englund, who plays Freddy in all Freddy-movies from the first one ‘A Nightmare on Elm Street’ in 1984 to Freddy vs. Jason in 2003. But sadly, I think, they had to do a remake of the original, so as of 2010, we now have a new Freddy, this time portrayed by Jackie Earle Haley as the villainous hell-spawn. This time around, I feel that they stripped him of his much-needed sarcastic attitude and made him (to me) a sad copy of Englund’s original. so Haley’s Freddy is not really on this list, he just get’s an honorable mention.
There you have it, my Top-3 favorite Slashers of all time! This was actually a pretty hard post to do, for there are so many other slashers out there who just barely didn’t make the list, so I’m gonna give you a few of’em listed as honorable mentions, just to be safe!
(note; These won’t be listed in any kind of ranking system what so ever.)
- Michael Myers – Halloween-series (original)
- Michael Myers – Rob Zombie’s Halloween
- Victor Crowley – Hatchet-series
- Freddy Krueger – The Haley-version
- Leatherface – Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
- Ghostface – Scream
- Norman Bates – Psycho (1960)
There you go, ladies and germs, the honorable’s that didn’t quite make the cut!
Well how’s that for a Friday 13th-treat for ya’? Not bad if I say so myself! But now, I’m actually gonna go watch the 2009-remake of Friday the 13th, followed by the four Jason-flicks starring Kane Hodder, VIII – X.